Skip to main content

Save a Dog ~ Eat a Fish!

Hello Friends,

Well it's been a few days...some changes have been occuring that have kept me from the computer keyboard.  Nothing, life or death, just some moral and physical dilemma's that have forced me to look deeper at what I believe and the life I intend to create for myself. 

I made the decision to adopt a Vegan lifestyle in February.  I later became an almost-Vegan when I added Whey (milk) protein back into my diet.  This week I became Vegetarian (for reasons I will discuss at a later date) I added egg whites, cottage cheese and yogurt back in.  Last night, I became a 'Pesce Vegetarian' as I prepared and ate a meal of fish.  Sounds like a slippery slope, doesn't it?  I can assure you though, this is as far as I intend to go. 

I don't like labelling anything, we are all free to eat the way we want.  In many respects, a diet free of animals and animal products was a positive choice for me.  However, in terms of my day to day activities and my goals for my body (I workout hard)...the lower protein content in my diet wasn't working.  It's not good for the mental health, when hours of weight and resistance training don't yield the desired results.  Selfish?  Maybe.  Honest?  Definitely.

I am a goal setter.  My current goal could not be achieved without the fish!  (Again, I will discuss that goal later!)

I had halibut last night.  Here's a look.



It's under there, I swear.  Halibut cheeks baked with cajun seasoning.  I put them on a basic romaine salad and topped with home made pico de gallo and half an avocado chopped.  The whole thing was drizzled with lime.  Very, very tasty.

So it's a new course for me...I know in my heart that I can not eat a chicken, pig or cow...why fish, then?  I don't know. What I do know is that it's the only animal I can think about eating without triggering my gag reflex! (tmi!)   Morally, I'm still coming to terms.  I buy 'free run' egg whites and I said a prayer for the fish before I ate it.  If I think about it too long I feel disappointed...but it wasn't like giving in to a craving, I actually made the conscious decision to do this. (Anyone who knows me well, knows I have NEVER craved fish!)

I feel like a million bucks physically.  More protein (in the last four days) has given me more energy, more stamina during my workouts and I can stay up past 10 o'clock...not much past 10 but I'm not dragging myself around for the latter part of the day!

Bottom line...it's like any decision in life...it has it's up's and down's. 

So, I ate a fish, but I also saved a dog!  Yes, saved him from certain injury, possibly even death.  We plucked him up in a busy parking lot last night, called his owner and took him home.  A happy ending. One I choose to think happened to show me there are other ways to help, protect and love animals (even if I eat fish every once in a while.)

Thanks for listening.  I feel much better.

Toby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Life, New Job, Same Goals

Hi Friends! It's been a while.  I lost my blogging mo-jo a few years back just before everything in my life changed.  I've been through a time of extreme reflection, growth and change.  I left my marriage in 2017, started an amazing new job at Kelowna's NEW 103.1 Beach Radio in the spring of 2018 and somewhere in there found the love of my life. This period of adjustment has been at it's core, a shift to happiness.   Ensuring my daughters are happy and secure in the new arrangement has been of paramount importance.   This transition has been so worth while but as with any new journey some of the old, familiar things fall by the wayside.   If you follow me on social media or if you read this blog when it was active (2011-2014), you know that healthy eating and exercise have always been part of my daily life. Through my 20's and 30's, I was up and out of bed at the crack of dawn running, riding or doing some form of exercise.  I'm still up

Can FEAR Be A Good Thing?

As I sit down to compose an entry for this week I find myself at a loss for words.  My mind is going a mile a minute.  What will they want to read about?  I can't talk about that, can I?  Does anybody really care?  So I sit.  Fingers tapping the counter top until the answer mercifully reveals itself and it couldn't be more simple.  JUST WRITE! This blog is for me.  It's not because I'm special, I'm just me.  Raw, open and honest.  That's the best me and it's the me I want to share. Most of us are guilty of spending too much time 'representing' an image.  Caring just a tad too much about what 'they' have to say about the way we live.   Fear of judgment can be crippling.  You know it, I know it. I spent nearly 15 years living one life but dreaming of another.  Fears, all kinds of them, held me back.  Fear of financial hardship, fear of failure, fear of hurting people, fear of being talked about, fear of being the bad guy.  I gave

Quest Bar Cookies!

Hello Friends, Many of you may know that I am a fan of Quest Bars.   Sugar free, gluten free, low carb.  Here's the link for all the nutrional info on them.  www.questproteinbar.com Anyway, I was super excited about the new cookie dough flavour that's been released, but alas, it's not available in Canada....I wanted to try it because my friendly neighbourhood FUEL Supplements store owner, Aaron, told me he heard you could bake them up like little cookies. Well, that got me to thinking.  Why would it be limited to the cookie dough variety, why not peanut butter or apple pie.  With just a few available moments this morning I tried it...so great.  Instead of noshing into a bar, I nibbled on 10 tiny cookies...crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Here's how I did it. I chose to use the Peanut Butter Flavour.  I cut the bar into squares and placed on a tinfoil covered baking sheet, misted with PAM. Into a 325 degree oven for about