Skip to main content

I'm Back!

Hello Friends!

It's been a while, thank you for all of your emails and messages encouraging me to get back at this.  Life has been busy since last fall.  Two jobs, a figure competition and basically not a spare moment to just 'be'.  That wasn't working for me, so through some re-arrangement I've found the time and space for my 'creativity' to take root and blossom once again.

Re-purposing is a concept introduced to me by my Mother.  Taking old 'things', ugly, tattered or discarded and finding a new way to use them.  I have discovered it takes a lot of elbow grease in some cases, and there have been more than a few casualties (ie. my gel nails) but the passion it has awakened in me is far more gratifying than beautiful hands.

Many of the projects I undertake are available for sale at Influence (at very reasonable prices I might add!)

Sunny Yellow Side Tables $29 each


One of the best parts of this journey is the time I share with my youngest daughter Audrey.  She is by my side each Saturday morning as we browse other people's cast off's at garage sales.  She loves to help and has become quite adept at sanding and painting!  Hooray, free labour!

Case in point...I have been complaining about the carpet in our den for years.  Ravaged by puppies and other accidents it was a mess and taking away from my new (re-purposed) furniture and accessories.

The den last month

New flooring is not in the budget right now...so what would you do?  I suggested ripping out the carpet and painting the plywood, why not?  Can't be worse than stained carpet.

I got to work pleading my case to Curtis, who didn't say no but also didn't say yes.  When a thunder stormed rolled through on a recent afternoon, Audrey and I got to work.  She didn't complain once as we lugged a couch, desk and other heavy items out of the room!  I tugged at a corner of carpet and before you knew it the whole darn thing was in a roll, along with the underlay and on it's way to the garage. 

Audrey prying out the staples

A few hours of prying up tacking strips and removing staples (thank you Audrey) and we were ready for Curtis to arrive home!

Now, before you worry too much about his reaction, he's used to this! Why would he be mad, all the hard labour was done?  A trip to RONA, for wood filler, primer and floor paint (and a call to the pizza delivery place because my young worker was whining about being hungry...imagine that!) and we were ready to get to work.

Wood filler drying

I love latex paint, so fast and easy to work with. By 10:30pm...eight hours after we began...the floor was filled, sanded, primed and painted with two coats of white paint. 

Primer 

 One coat of paint (yes I was watching paint dry)

Two coats (bedtime)

Eight hours later, everything was back in it's place.




We love our new space, it's fresh and right in line with the 'feel' I envision for our home.  I want to do the family room and a bedroom next, but the sun is shining today so we will get out and enjoy it.

What's even better than our beautiful room, is the look of satisfaction on my daughters face.  I didn't keep her on the sidelines, she was right beside me, getting dirty and muscling tacks out of the floor.  She sanded, primed, painted, she moved furniture and in those hours she learned something very important.  She can make her own dreams come true without relying on someone else to do it for her.


one life lesson for Audrey + one new office for me = one very good day.

Toby

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Life, New Job, Same Goals

Hi Friends! It's been a while.  I lost my blogging mo-jo a few years back just before everything in my life changed.  I've been through a time of extreme reflection, growth and change.  I left my marriage in 2017, started an amazing new job at Kelowna's NEW 103.1 Beach Radio in the spring of 2018 and somewhere in there found the love of my life. This period of adjustment has been at it's core, a shift to happiness.   Ensuring my daughters are happy and secure in the new arrangement has been of paramount importance.   This transition has been so worth while but as with any new journey some of the old, familiar things fall by the wayside.   If you follow me on social media or if you read this blog when it was active (2011-2014), you know that healthy eating and exercise have always been part of my daily life. Through my 20's and 30's, I was up and out of bed at the crack of dawn running, riding or doing some form of exercise.  I'm still up

Can FEAR Be A Good Thing?

As I sit down to compose an entry for this week I find myself at a loss for words.  My mind is going a mile a minute.  What will they want to read about?  I can't talk about that, can I?  Does anybody really care?  So I sit.  Fingers tapping the counter top until the answer mercifully reveals itself and it couldn't be more simple.  JUST WRITE! This blog is for me.  It's not because I'm special, I'm just me.  Raw, open and honest.  That's the best me and it's the me I want to share. Most of us are guilty of spending too much time 'representing' an image.  Caring just a tad too much about what 'they' have to say about the way we live.   Fear of judgment can be crippling.  You know it, I know it. I spent nearly 15 years living one life but dreaming of another.  Fears, all kinds of them, held me back.  Fear of financial hardship, fear of failure, fear of hurting people, fear of being talked about, fear of being the bad guy.  I gave

Quest Bar Cookies!

Hello Friends, Many of you may know that I am a fan of Quest Bars.   Sugar free, gluten free, low carb.  Here's the link for all the nutrional info on them.  www.questproteinbar.com Anyway, I was super excited about the new cookie dough flavour that's been released, but alas, it's not available in Canada....I wanted to try it because my friendly neighbourhood FUEL Supplements store owner, Aaron, told me he heard you could bake them up like little cookies. Well, that got me to thinking.  Why would it be limited to the cookie dough variety, why not peanut butter or apple pie.  With just a few available moments this morning I tried it...so great.  Instead of noshing into a bar, I nibbled on 10 tiny cookies...crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Here's how I did it. I chose to use the Peanut Butter Flavour.  I cut the bar into squares and placed on a tinfoil covered baking sheet, misted with PAM. Into a 325 degree oven for about