Skip to main content

It begins...

My name is Toby and I am a food addict!  There I said it.  I wake up in the morning thinking about food, I plan my day around food and I go to bed dreaming about food.  Food, food, food…it’s an obsession with me.
When I was young, I was a chubby girl…totally my own doing…I always loved to go to Gramma’s house because she made the best treats.  Squares of chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, graham crumbs and coconut.  Those were my favourite!  Her cookies, cakes and breads were darn good too.  If I wasn’t lucky enough to be at Gramma’s for a meal, I would sneak down to her cold room in the basement and fill my face with macaroons and peanut clusters.  Funny how even then I knew what I was doing was somehow wrong, unhealthy both for my body and my spirit.
When I got a little older I started to bake at home.  I would scan the cookbooks and scour the cupboards for ingredients.  It didn’t really matter what it was, as long as it was sweet. This obsession with sugar carried through to adulthood. ..only now I was smarter. (Or so I thought) Sugar-free, chemical laden fare became my vice.  Diet soda, crystal light, maltitol…oh the stomach aches I would get from that sugar free chocolate…but how great it was that I, a low carb devotee, could have chocolate!
Extreme Low fat diets, Aitkins, Weight Watchers, Somersize, South Beach…I’ve done them all!    I lost weight on all of them, but still that fixation with sugar continued.  I have to add here, that I have always been religious about working out.  I like to get a sweat on 5-6 times a week.  That’s been a constant which was important because as my weight fluctuated it taught me a very important lesson about diet.  It trumps exercise! 
About two years ago I settled in on Clean Eating.  “It’s the only way..” a friend and fitness competitor told me.  She looked fabulous so maybe there was something to this.
I bought all the books, researched on the internet and got cooking.  It was a lot of work in the beginning, or seemed like a lot of work all this meal planning and prep.  “You’re going to eat how many times a day?” my husband would ask…”Six”, I would tell him!   The reaction was even stronger from my parents, strict low carbers, but they got on board too.  I would cook for and encourage friends to join me. Anyone  who knows me well,  knows that I jump into things I believe in with two feet and want everyone I love to come with me.
I can now say, with some authority, that Clean Eating is the ONLY way.  No looking back.  My food obsession no longer resides on the dark side! 
I must add though, that through this Clean Eating journey, sugar still had my number…dialing me up on a daily basis at about 3:00 o’clock every  afternoon and then again about 7:00pm.  I would nibble on some dark chocolate (always trying to make a ‘better bad choice’), raisins or peanut butter.  One night last fall a friend had dinner with us.  Afterwards, I was picking at a fruit and nut bar (of course) and offering him some.  He made a casual comment about not needing the ‘sweet’.  I was so deflated…why did he not need the ‘sweet’ and I so needed it.  I had prepared a delicious, healthy, balanced dinner and I still ‘needed’ the sweet.  So  disappointing.  That stuck with me.
Christmas rolled in…and all sugar bets are off during that time.  I am always mindful of what goes into my mouth, but with parties, finger foods and my friend Becky’s baking…I had to partake!
 I was back on the ‘reduced sugar’ wagon in January, but that familiar craving continued to nip at my heels.
Two months ago I watched the infamous ‘Cargill Meat Plant’ tour on Oprah.  The show was about the benefits of going Vegan.  I had seen the promos all week and silently told myself I wouldn’t be watching that.  (I have a very, very, very soft spot for animals…actually it’s more than soft, it’s a gaping wound and the thought of any little thing that might cause an animal pain or discomfort is like pouring a box of salt directly into it)  I am not usually home between four and five in the afternoon…but somehow on that day I found myself in front of the TV…”I wonder what’s on Oprah?”  I wasn’t going to watch…but I did…and in that hour, something clicked for me.  I cried for the rest of the day…
I bought Kathy Freston’s book, Quantum Wellness, the next day.  More about the animals…cried some more.  I read and researched and talked to Vegetarian’s and Vegan’s that I know.  I was on the verge of tears for several days actually.   It was like a release.   I felt like I had pulled the plug and drained the bath tub.  Making the choice to give up meat was this huge relief for me.  Could my extreme sensitivity to animal’s suffering have something to do with guilt…a guilt I wasn’t even aware of until now?  (Wow…that’s a whole other blog!!!)
I haven’t had a bite of meat since February 1.  I’m not here to preach about the benefits of a plant based diet…but I will tell you this.  Within 24 hours of giving up meat…my old nemesis disappeared…took a hike…hit the road!  MY DAILY SUGAR CRAVINGS ARE GONE.  For three decades I have battled this addiction…and within hours it simply dissolved.  I have no explanation for it because I am not a scientist.  Will I still enjoy a good dessert every once in a while?  Probably.  The point is, I have been set free from that daily need for the ‘sweet’ .  That is so huge for me I really can’t even put it into words.
So my daily ‘clean meal creations’ are now meat free.   The ease with which I have made this adjustment is remarkable.  I’m choosing to be in awe and to be thankful that I stumbled upon this path.  I’m still obsessing about food, just differently now and it really is a lot of fun.
So the point to this rambling is that I’m creating a blog.  I have been asked by many to share my recipes and meal plans…so here it is.  A place to post my favorites.  Setbacks and achievements will also be noted and I hope you will share too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Life, New Job, Same Goals

Hi Friends! It's been a while.  I lost my blogging mo-jo a few years back just before everything in my life changed.  I've been through a time of extreme reflection, growth and change.  I left my marriage in 2017, started an amazing new job at Kelowna's NEW 103.1 Beach Radio in the spring of 2018 and somewhere in there found the love of my life. This period of adjustment has been at it's core, a shift to happiness.   Ensuring my daughters are happy and secure in the new arrangement has been of paramount importance.   This transition has been so worth while but as with any new journey some of the old, familiar things fall by the wayside.   If you follow me on social media or if you read this blog when it was active (2011-2014), you know that healthy eating and exercise have always been part of my daily life. Through my 20's and 30's, I was up and out of bed at the crack of dawn running, riding or doing some form of exercise.  I'm still up

Can FEAR Be A Good Thing?

As I sit down to compose an entry for this week I find myself at a loss for words.  My mind is going a mile a minute.  What will they want to read about?  I can't talk about that, can I?  Does anybody really care?  So I sit.  Fingers tapping the counter top until the answer mercifully reveals itself and it couldn't be more simple.  JUST WRITE! This blog is for me.  It's not because I'm special, I'm just me.  Raw, open and honest.  That's the best me and it's the me I want to share. Most of us are guilty of spending too much time 'representing' an image.  Caring just a tad too much about what 'they' have to say about the way we live.   Fear of judgment can be crippling.  You know it, I know it. I spent nearly 15 years living one life but dreaming of another.  Fears, all kinds of them, held me back.  Fear of financial hardship, fear of failure, fear of hurting people, fear of being talked about, fear of being the bad guy.  I gave

Quest Bar Cookies!

Hello Friends, Many of you may know that I am a fan of Quest Bars.   Sugar free, gluten free, low carb.  Here's the link for all the nutrional info on them.  www.questproteinbar.com Anyway, I was super excited about the new cookie dough flavour that's been released, but alas, it's not available in Canada....I wanted to try it because my friendly neighbourhood FUEL Supplements store owner, Aaron, told me he heard you could bake them up like little cookies. Well, that got me to thinking.  Why would it be limited to the cookie dough variety, why not peanut butter or apple pie.  With just a few available moments this morning I tried it...so great.  Instead of noshing into a bar, I nibbled on 10 tiny cookies...crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Here's how I did it. I chose to use the Peanut Butter Flavour.  I cut the bar into squares and placed on a tinfoil covered baking sheet, misted with PAM. Into a 325 degree oven for about