Skip to main content

Kiwi in a New Light

Good Morning!



I love a good Kiwi...packed with tons of Vitamin C and other nutrients.  A friend commented recently about how messy they are to eat.  She was attempting it with a spoon.  She hadn't considered eating this little gem with the skin on!
I was introduced to this 'skin on' concept by my friend Becky.  She scrubs the fruit then just slices it up.  I was astonished when presented with an unpeeled Kiwi, but popped it into my mouth and...wow!!!  The thick skin is nice and chewy.  This is the way most New Zealanders eat their Kiwi and a little research shows that skin only adds to the fruit's nurtitional value!

The following is from http://www.kiwi-fruit.info/

Kiwi fruit skin contains high levels of flavonoids, insoluble fiber and antioxidants: these substances all have a beneficial effect on your body's metabolic functions (flavonoids and antioxidants) and on your digestive system and cardiovascular apparatus (insoluble fiber).
Common sense, however, should be practiced in this respect: while raw kiwi fruit skin contains these beneficial substances, it also tends to contain more than 99,95% of of the pesticides in that particular fruit (if they have been used), which largely outweighs the benefits from flavonoids and antioxidants.

I guess the moral of this story is buy Organic Kiwi. 

Give it a go with the skin on...let me know what you think!

Toby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indian Food Intimidation

Hello friends. I have something I need to get off my chest.  For years, I have been intimidated by curry.  I don't know a Vindaloo from a Tikka Masala.  What I do know is that I always enjoy an authentic Indian meal, I just want to be able to cook one myself! Last night a friend put on a fantastic Indian spread...butter chicken (none for me!)  a delicious vegetable curry and a chick pea curry.  There was of course naan bread and basmati rice.  Delicious.  Today I was inspired...I entered the grocery store without a list or any concrete plan.  I just knew I wanted a curry dish, I knew what I wanted in it and how it should look and taste.  Brave I know...but this story has a happy ending. I grabbed all my vegetables first.  Onion, garlic, red pepper, cauliflower, potato and peas.  I moved on to organic chick peas, light coconut milk and brown basmati rice.  A great base...but then the curry conundrum.  I appr...

New Life, New Job, Same Goals

Hi Friends! It's been a while.  I lost my blogging mo-jo a few years back just before everything in my life changed.  I've been through a time of extreme reflection, growth and change.  I left my marriage in 2017, started an amazing new job at Kelowna's NEW 103.1 Beach Radio in the spring of 2018 and somewhere in there found the love of my life. This period of adjustment has been at it's core, a shift to happiness.   Ensuring my daughters are happy and secure in the new arrangement has been of paramount importance.   This transition has been so worth while but as with any new journey some of the old, familiar things fall by the wayside.   If you follow me on social media or if you read this blog when it was active (2011-2014), you know that healthy eating and exercise have always been part of my daily life. Through my 20's and 30's, I was up and out of bed at the crack of dawn running, riding or doing some form of exercise.  I...

Make Room For It

Clutter is so detrimental.  In your closets on your counters but most especially in your head.  Outside clutter can be discarded with a little time and elbow grease but removing mental clutter is a whole other ball game. I'm going to speak about fitness and healthy eating but this can be applied to anything that has you stuck. I've fretted for months about losing my exercise routine.  A new career move meant a new schedule in direct conflict with my gym time.  It had been my gym time for as many years as I can remember and when I lost it (even though I love my job) I lost a little part of myself. My mind was over-active with new approaches to exercise but honestly they were mostly excuses about why I didn't really need to, mixed with a touch of self loathing. This thing that had been so important for my physical and mental well-being was getting further away...until a moment of clarity. Let me ask, have you tried meditating?  Going quiet, letti...